RIC Helen M. Galvin Center for Health & Fitness
Membership information for patients
Reviewed February 2013
RIC Sports & FitnessThe Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago operates a fully accessible health and fitness facility that provides personal exercise and training programs as well as competitive sports and paralympic activities for people of all ages with physical disabilities.
Personalized training programs are created for each participant and group classes are also available including:
• “Fit Forever”
• Parkinson integrated exercise
• Parkinson Amplitude-based
• Warm Water
• Functional Fitness
• Chair Yoga
The Center’s competitive sports and paralympic programs are among the best in the United States, are offered for both adults and children:
– wheelchair basketball
– power soccer
– adaptive golf
– power lifting
– sled hockey
– wheelchair rugby
– wheelchair softball
– downhill skiing
– track and field
– road racing
– military veterans program
• Complete a written membership application that includes medical approval from a doctor, nurse or physical therapist.
• Mail or bring the application to the Fitness Center.
• After your application is received, the Fitness Center staff will call to set up an appointment. Bring or wear comfortable clothing.
The first visit includes:
– Signing release forms
– Tour of the facility
– Complete assessment and evaluation by center staff; discussion of exercise goals
– Orientation (required for all new patient members)
– Bring exercise clothes and a lock. Bags and purses are not allowed in the gym.
– All members are issued an ID card.
– The individually designed exercise program is introduced. Fitness staff will work one on one with each person to make sure exercises are done safely and effectively.
– Other information about fitness such as staying hydrated, warming up and cooling down and what to do about soreness is covered.
– There is time for questions.
After orientation, enrollment is complete and you can start using the Fitness Center.
To find out membership and class fees, please call
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am –7:00 pm
Office: Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4:00 pm
For more information on the Fitness Center click the link below:
|Company:||Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Helen M. Galvin Health and Fitness Center and the Virginia Wadsworth Wirtz Sports Program|
|Address:||541 N. Fairbanks
Chicago, IL 60611
Back to Top